Coach Nagy's Field Tip - That "Perhaps You Can Help Me" Script
(This was written as a sales tip for a business broker group in 2000 and is very flexible in its application.)
Ever wonder how to approach people you don't know to obtain leads?
It's real simple. Target your lead sources by identifying who would most likely know about who you're looking for. Business owners know other business owners. Businesses in highly social setting are most likely going to get the skinny on the surrounding community. You can ID them thru simple library DB searchs, thru using the web to ID business types in the area you're about to visit or the local yellow pages.
Once you've ID'd these people, plan out your day so that you can either stop by or phone them to request a quick 5 minute meeting.
The script you would follow is straightforward. The key points are ...
- who you are;
- who you represent;
- what you are looking for;
- followed by a request for assistance.
It might look something like this...
- Hello Mr. Business owner.
- I'm John Nagy. I'm with All American Business Solutions which represents a large pool of buyers interested in purchasing qualified business.
- I'm calling for your assistance and this will not take but a minute.
- Do you have a minute to answer a quick question. [response]
- Great! We have countless buyers wanting to invest in businesses for sale and need to know if there are any on your area.
- I'm looking for names - How can you help me?
The important aspect of this script is that you're asking for help and not trying to sell anyone hearing it. The person you're talking with is only a springboard to others. Even if they're interested, you still treat them as a resource and not a prospect. They will volunteer for that if they qualify. Don't push it even if they do. Let their curiosity sell them, not your need.
I think you can see that this script is workable in many directions, not just the target you started out after.
Here are a few questions for you to ponder:
- How do you see yourself using this script while on your lead runs?
- Who do you see using this script on?
- Where and when do you see this script really coming handy?
- How many times do you think you can use this script during the course of just one day out in the field?
- What do you have to lose if you don't use this as a way of generating leads?
Have a Bodacious Week!
Coach John S. Nagy is CEO and Lead Business Coach for Coaching for Success. Inc., a Business Coaching Service specifically designed for top level decision makers dedicated to peak performance in all facets of their activities. He’s hired to focus them continuously in activities that bring higher returns on their resource use. His programs are for the seriously committed. This means having his clients work "ON" their businesses, not just "IN" it. He’s a published author and a multi-degree professional with a nationwide client base. Coach Nagy can be reached through his E-mail address at his website at http://www.coach.net and by calling 813-949-0718.
Copyright © 2002 John S. Nagy